Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get started with the Help page
Ask Your Question
2

Export to idf file Fails

asked 2017-10-30 17:16:04 -0600

NasimMirian gravatar image

I've downloaded the OpenStudio 2.3 with EnergyPlus 8.8 and SketchUp 2017. I created a model and when I want to export the idf file from SketchUp OpenStudio plugin, It doesn't let me to do that. I tried to Launch the openstudio first and then export the IDF file. However when I run the OSM model, the simulation fails and I get this error C:\fakepath\123.JPG

"utilities.idf.WorkspaceObject] <2> Attempt to write a disconnected WorkspaceObject out to Idf. [16:13:26.410201 ERROR] Found error in state 'translator' with message ["E:\Git\OS1\openstudiocore\src\utilities\idf\WorkspaceObject.cpp@835 : Attempt to write a disconnected WorkspaceObject out to Idf.::/ruby/2.2.0/gems/openstudio-workflow-1.3.1/lib/openstudio/workflow/util/model.rb:66:in translateModel'\n:/ruby/2.2.0/gems/openstudio-workflow-1.3.1/lib/openstudio/workflow/util/model.rb:66:intranslate_to_energyplus'\n:/ruby/2.2.0/gems/openstudio-workflow-1.3.1/lib/openstudio/workflow/jobs/run_translation.rb:54:in perform'\n:/ruby/2.2.0/gems/openstudio-workflow-1.3.1/lib/openstudio/workflow/run.rb:261:instep'\n:/ruby/2.2.0/gems/openstudio-workflow-1.3.1/lib/openstudio/workflow/run.rb:210:in run'\n:/openstudio_cli.rb:804:inexecute'\n:/openstudio_cli.rb:620:in execute'\n:/openstudio_cli.rb:1517:in<main>'\neval:85:in eval'\neval:85:inrequire_embedded_absolute'\neval:70:in block in require'\neval:64:ineach'\neval:64:in require'\neval:2:in<main>'"]}

Any idea?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

1

@NasimMirian do you mind sending the model to OpenStudio@nrel.gov. There must be an object in the OSM that the forward translator isn't happy about. If we have the file we can identify the object and how to fix the file.

David Goldwasser gravatar imageDavid Goldwasser ( 2017-10-31 16:14:45 -0600 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
2

answered 2017-11-01 14:39:21 -0600

I just emailed you and updated model. There were orphaned base and sub-surfaces in the model that were crashing the forward translation from OSM to IDF. I resolved them by running the Remove Orphan Objects and Unused Resources measure from BCL.

**INITIAL CONDITION**
The model started with 2252 objects.
**FINAL CONDITION**
The model finished with 2242 objects.
**INFO MESSAGES**
No orphan space infiltration objects were found
No orphan design specification outdoor air objects were found
No orphan load instance objects were found
Removing orphan base surface named Surface 428
Removing orphan base surface named Surface 673
Removing orphan sub surface named Sub Surface 1
Removing orphan sub surface named Sub Surface 3
Removing orphan sub surface named Sub Surface 4
Removing orphan sub surface named Sub Surface 6
Removing orphan sub surface named Sub Surface 7
Removing orphan sub surface named Sub Surface 9
No orphan shading surfaces were found
No orphan interior partition surfaces were found
no orphaned LifeCycleCost objects were found

After this you can export to IDF without any issues. You should be able to run this measure in the OS app with "Apply Measures Now", but for some reason measure are all exporting to IDF when trying to calculate arguments, which prevents this. I ran the measure on the OSM outside of a GUI, but that shouldn't be necessary. I'll look into that.

Looks like this

image description

instead of this

image description

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

 

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2017-10-30 17:16:04 -0600

Seen: 271 times

Last updated: Nov 01 '17