Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get started with the Help page
Ask Your Question

How to include ventilation in residential spaces in CBECC-Com?

asked 2015-09-01 10:42:50 -0600

updated 2015-11-07 14:31:19 -0600

I have a high rise residential building where the dwelling units do not include cooking (it is a senior retirement facility). I have modeled the dwelling units as High-Rise Residential Living Spaces function, which has an occupancy class of Residential.

This removes the option of adding ventilation at the HVAC zone yet I got a review comment from the code official indicating that I need revise the Title 24 form Part N to include the outside air requirements for these systems. Note that these systems include outside air in the mechanical design.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Do I need to change the occupancy class to non-residential?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-09-01 12:25:43 -0600

pflaumingo gravatar image

CBECC-Com does not currently model ventilation systems for residential spaces and models them using two 'ZoneInfiltration:DesignFlowRate' objects on each zone to account for it. It obviously means that fan power and any conditioning by an additional system is not accounted for all that accurately. There is a discussion here and here that highlight some of the issues. You could perhaps pass along the second link to the plan checker where it says "Residential System are to be definited with no explicit outside air ventilation"

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Training Workshops

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2015-09-01 10:42:50 -0600

Seen: 178 times

Last updated: Sep 01 '15