Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get s tarted with the Help page
Ask Your Question
1

Simulation fails in OpenStudio 1.7 but works in EnergyPlus

asked 2015-05-28 11:30:26 -0500

Aram gravatar image

updated 2015-06-22 11:26:55 -0500

I´m trying to launch a simulation of a very simple model made with SketchUp 2015 on OpenStudio 1.7 but it stops at 75%, without generating an error file. I tried to run the simulation of the same model using EnergyPlus 8.2 and it works fine. Then I took the file to run the model on OpenStudio with a different computer and it worked. I disinstalled SketchUp and OpenStudio and reinstalled both and it gives me the same problem. Any ideas?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

My assumption is that the standard reporting measure that runs after the simulation is failing. You can confirm this by saving your file after the simulation fails and look through the results directory by hand. If your model is named "MyModel.osm" the results will be in a path something like this, and will be next to the OSM file.

MyModel\run\6-EnergyPlus-0

See if you have a valid eplustbl.htm and look at the eplusout.err for any fatal errors.

David Goldwasser gravatar image David Goldwasser  ( 2015-05-29 09:51:18 -0500 )edit

If this is the case we need to figure out why the report is failing. Is the issue unique to the current model, and can you think of anything unique about this one? Can you also let us know what operating system you are using.

Thanks,

David Goldwasser gravatar image David Goldwasser  ( 2015-05-29 09:52:54 -0500 )edit

Do you have a space in the problem machine's user profile? I had a similar problem trying to get a Radiance simulation running in OpenStudio because my user directory had a space in it. Perhaps the first computer which is giving you this problem has a space in the user profile directory in which you are logged on.

keb gravatar image keb  ( 2015-06-01 14:05:40 -0500 )edit

Thank you for your comments, but it seems the problem is another one. The problem is that no eplusout.err file is generated and the simulation fails in the same way even using a different file. These are the last lines I get when I launch the simulation: Found argument 'measures_json' with value '[{"arguments":{},"measure":"C:/Program Files/OpenStudio 1.7.0/share/openstudio-1.7.0/pat/Measures/StandardReports/measure.rb"}]'. Found UserScript 'Report Request'. Processed 1 base script and 0 merged scripts And when I export the fail as .idf and I use E+ to launch it, it works.

Aram gravatar image Aram  ( 2015-06-11 10:17:01 -0500 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2015-06-22 08:45:41 -0500

Aram gravatar image

I´ve solved the problem after seeing this post: https://unmethours.com/question/3110/... My computer was running a 32-bits Windows 7 so at first I installed both SketchUp and OpenStudio 32-bits versions. This was the configuration giving me problems. It seems that the built-in EnergyPlus that is installed together with OpenStudio caused the problem, either because it was looking for a non-existing location in the hard disk or because it was a 64-bits version of the program. Anyway, I had to make a complete backup, install a new 64-bits Windows 8 and then re-install SketchUp and OpenStudio (64-bits). Now it is working fine.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

 

Question Tools

Stats

Asked: 2015-05-28 11:30:26 -0500

Seen: 498 times

Last updated: Jun 22 '15