Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get started with the Help page
Ask Your Question

As an energy advisor in Canada, can I use the OpenStudio software to generate my inspection reports? Is this software supported and admissible according to NRCan standards?

asked 2022-06-08 08:14:38 -0600

Tommy's avatar

updated 2022-06-08 09:15:23 -0600

I am a student at ETS, Montreal and I would like to know if an energy advisor can use OpenStudio to do his reports in Canada, considering that Canmet use OpenStudio.


edit retag flag offensive close merge delete


Could you be more specific? "Energy advisor", "inspection reports", "NRCan standards" ... which sector? which initiatives? EnerGuide is still based on HOT2000, for instance. Canmet + NRC (and a few provincial agencies) do rely heavily on OpenStudio and OpenStudio Standards (e.g. BTAP), but this is mainly for research/policy purposes - doesn't necessarily trickle down towards practitioners (unfortunately). No issues for NECB compliance, though.

Denis Bourgeois's avatar Denis Bourgeois  ( 2022-06-08 13:39:53 -0600 )edit

''Energy advisor'' = person who does home energy audit and who works for a Service Organization (energy efficiency)

''Inspection reports'' = For example, when an inspection is required for the Canada Greener home incentive, the energy advisor do his evaluation according to the EnerGuide rating system. He must give his client 3 reports : ''Information sheet'', ''EnerGuide label'' and ''Renovation report''.

Tommy's avatar Tommy  ( 2022-06-08 14:11:56 -0600 )edit

''NRCan standards'' = here, it's more like a question... I was wondering if NRCan allows energy advisors to do the energy modelling with other software than HOT2000.

First, thanks for your quick answer!

So, according to your knowledge, which software are commonly use by the energy advisor to compile the data he just collected from his client household? HOT2000 seems to be popular : is HOT2000 only used to generate the EnerGuide rate?

Again, sorry if I'm not clear, I usually speak french! haha


Tommy's avatar Tommy  ( 2022-06-08 14:17:52 -0600 )edit

OK, so you're looking into housing (EnerGuide, Canada Greener Home, etc.). I haven't been involved with EnerGuide for a few years - maybe NRCan has recently opened the door to alternative modelling paths (under exceptional conditions)? But I'm 99% sure it remains "HOT2000 only". You should ask NRCan directly (or in QC, Renoclimat support or listed advisors).

Denis Bourgeois's avatar Denis Bourgeois  ( 2022-06-08 16:47:42 -0600 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2022-06-10 17:10:42 -0600

I'll venture a ~definitive answer. To the best of my knowledge, housing initiatives in Canada operating under the umbrella of Natural Resources Canada (like EnerGuide, EnergyStar and R2000) rely exclusively on HOT2000. One notes HOT2000 version differences for EnergyStar in Ontario (houses vs MURBs) - otherwise, it's v10.51. I'll gladly edit the answer if someone offers a link to a document stating otherwise (e.g. exceptional conditions?). Of course other solutions are available for initiatives outside NRCan's purview like Passive House.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer


Question Tools


Asked: 2022-06-08 08:14:38 -0600

Seen: 959 times

Last updated: Jun 10 '22