Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get s tarted with the Help page
Ask Your Question

Air Overflow (Inlet -> Living) and (Exhaust - > Kitchen)

asked 2020-08-13 07:03:08 -0600

Prethvi Raj gravatar image

updated 2020-08-13 08:27:21 -0600


We are working on an apartment complex. In most of the cases the supply of fresh air is via the living space and the exhaust is placed inside the toilet. So, the air enters the living room and it overflows to the toilet where it is taken out.

Please let me know how do you simulate overflow of air from one zone to another zone in the E+ or Design builder.

Regards, Prethvi Raj, Building Performance Analyst, TRAJECT 361.C:\fakepath\Air OverFlow.JPG

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

2 Answers

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2020-08-14 06:14:54 -0600

TheEnergyTutor gravatar image

updated 2020-08-14 06:17:26 -0600

I also see this covered in a youtube video. It's for OpenStudio but i think there may be some transferable information you might benefit from.

edit flag offensive delete link more

answered 2020-08-13 08:26:53 -0600

This overflow of air -- supply air provided to one zone, mixes with an adjacent zone, then eventually exhausted or returned back to central air system from the adjacent zone -- is also known as transfer air. This post has a good discussion on how to apply this in EnergyPlus using the ZoneMixing object (defines the one-way mixing of air between two zones).

DesignBuilder allows you to define air mixing between zones within an Interzone Airflow dialog. Here you can define the mixing process (zones involved, the flow rate, controls for temperature or time-based schedule limits).

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer


Question Tools



Asked: 2020-08-13 07:03:08 -0600

Seen: 312 times

Last updated: Aug 14 '20