Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get s tarted with the Help page
Ask Your Question

Dimensions : outer or inner layers of walls

asked 2018-08-21 00:37:19 -0500

Alexis gravatar image

updated 2018-08-25 18:15:27 -0500

When I draw a building or a room, I would like to know if I take the inner or the outer (included the wall) dimensions of the room ?
I am wondering because in my case, I have a room with 40 cm of rammed earth. I think my consumption could be impacted by this.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2018-08-21 03:06:48 -0500

Typically, you take the interior surface of exterior walls as the boundary when drawing your geometry. You may choose to deviate from this slightly to simplify geometry when encountering columns, or architectural features and pop outs.

For zoning, you would take the centerline of the interior wall. This does have impacts on room size, but is the best approximation when working with 3D geometry.

edit flag offensive delete link more


Ok thank you for your answer. I was not really sure

Alexis gravatar image Alexis  ( 2018-08-22 02:22:54 -0500 )edit

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer


Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2018-08-21 00:37:19 -0500

Seen: 209 times

Last updated: Aug 21 '18