Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get started with the Help page
Ask Your Question
1

severe error "Failed to match against any enum values"

asked 2018-08-11 22:53:25 -0500

oat gravatar image

updated 2018-08-12 06:17:43 -0500

I'm using the Honeybee interface to run EnergyPlus simulation for a simple model.

I got the following severe error:

Program Version,EnergyPlus, Version 8.9.0-eba93e8e1b, YMD=2018.08.12 11:34,
* Severe * <root>[Output:Variable][Output:Variable 76][reporting_frequency] - "Simple" - Failed to match against any enum values.

I checked the IDF file, and the format of the two output variables as highlighted below seems OK:

Output:Variable,*,Surface Outside Face Incident Ground Diffuse Solar Radiation Rate per Area,hourly;

Output:Diagnostics,DisplayExtraWarnings;

Output:SQLite, Simple;

Output:Variable,My_PV_generator_system:DISTRIBUTIONSYSTEM,Electric Load Center Produced Electric Energy, Simple;

Once these two output variables on diagnostics and SQLite as highlighted above are removed in the Honeybee workflow, the simulation runs correctly.

However, without removing these two output variables: 1. the same Honeybee workflow works fine in another computer with the same software installation, and 2. the same IDF file also works fine independently through the EPLaunch.exe.

Another strange issue is that, as shown above, the EnergyPlus version is indicated as 8.9.0. However, I'm using EnergPlus 8.8.0 only currently....

May I ask if you can kindly advise what could have caused the severe error in this case?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2018-08-13 11:10:55 -0500

This object is incorrect:

Output:Variable,My_PV_generator_system:DISTRIBUTIONSYSTEM,Electric Load Center Produced Electric Energy, Simple;

"Simple" should be "hourly" or one of the other valid options (enum values) for reporting frequency. With the v8.9.0 input processor changes to support epJSON input, these types of input errors are trapped earlier and the error messages may at times be a little confusing. Because Output:Variable objects do not have a unique name field, the input processor references it by numerical order. In this case, the 76th Output:Variable object is where the error occurred. Similar errors for other objects will identify the name of the object.

If the header says Version 8.9.0, then you really are executing v8.9.0. v8.8.0 and prior versions were rather forgiving for this particular input field and would silently use the same reporting frequency as the previous Output:Variable object(at least that's what I see from a quick test, even though the code looks like there should be a warning). v8.9 and later is more strict - inputs for choice fields like this must match one of the choices exactly. That's why this file runs in v8.8 but not in v8.9.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

 



Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2018-08-11 22:53:25 -0500

Seen: 18 times

Last updated: 2 days ago