Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get started with the Help page
Ask Your Question

Occupant density and lighting use factor

asked 2015-12-12 13:23:54 -0500

Hossam Wefki's avatar

updated 2015-12-14 10:11:56 -0500

Is there any standard code for occupant density and lighting use factor per area for residential building

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-12-14 10:17:04 -0500

The International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) has a building energy efficiency standard with separate sections for commercial and residential buildings. In this link to the 2009 IECC, you'll see that the Residential section has requirements for envelope, HVAC systems, and electric lighting systems. Lighting systems specify "a minimum of 50 percent of the lamps in permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be high-efficacy lamps", which leaves application of the requirement open to interpretation. As for occupant density, there is no direct requirement from IECC 2009. These requirements may have changed, and you should double-check.

Another option would be ASHRAE Standard 90.2. On the ASHRAE website it looks like the last version was from 2007. I haven't used this standard myself, but would imagine it has similar requirements as ASHRAE Standard 90.1 for non-residential buildings.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Training Workshops


Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2015-12-12 13:23:54 -0500

Seen: 345 times

Last updated: Dec 14 '15