Question-and-Answer Resource for the Building Energy Modeling Community
Get s tarted with the Help page
Ask Your Question
2

PAT 1.8.0 fails on every run

asked 2015-08-28 18:46:26 -0500

updated 2017-08-20 15:03:55 -0500

Of course this is for a project due Monday. Sigh.

I am running OpenStudio 1.8.0. My models runs beautifully. However when I run it in PAT with a few simple measures and design alternatives, every run fails except the baseline/seed. Can anyone tell me what this error means?

This shows up on every run except the seed model:

image description

The measures that are applied are ones that I have used many times before in previous versions of PAT; I don't know why they no longer work. They also work just fine if I use "Apply Measure Now" in OS.

Also, the BCL measure "Xcel EDA Reporting and QAQC" generates an error in the baseline/seed model as well:

image description

But even if I remove that from the project, other runs still fail with the same error. Is something wrong with my installation?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

Have you looked in the result.ossr file for your failing alternatives? Could you post the contents of that file here? Do you happen to be importing OSMs in as alternates?

macumber gravatar image macumber  ( 2015-08-28 19:05:29 -0500 )edit

Only thing I see about the results measure is in the file 'resources/CreateResults.rb' line 16 will return false if it can't get floor_area. What is the floor area reported in your E+ simulation? If you forget to assign spaces to thermal zones you can end up with zero area. Here is the SQL query that is being evaluated:

"SELECT Value FROM tabulardatawithstrings WHERE ReportName='AnnualBuildingUtilityPerformanceSummary' AND ReportForString='Entire Facility' AND TableName='Building Area' AND RowName='Net Conditioned Building Area' AND ColumnName='Area' AND Units='m2
macumber gravatar image macumber  ( 2015-08-28 19:11:12 -0500 )edit

Do you have a result corresponding to that table, row, and column in your E+ html output?

macumber gravatar image macumber  ( 2015-08-28 19:11:48 -0500 )edit

I can't seem to post the result.ossr files here (type not allowed) but I will email them to you.

egillmor gravatar image egillmor  ( 2015-08-28 20:15:20 -0500 )edit

In another version I did have other OS files as design alternatives, but have since stripped them out in an effort to isolate the issue. In this one I now just have the Baseline plus one design alternative with one measure running on the baseline, plus several "Always Run" measures, and both DAs failing. The baseline does not fail if I remove the Xcel EDA QAQC measure. (I do have the most current version from the BCL.) The other design alternative still fails even with that measure removed. The DA uses a simple "change LPD" measure that works just fine everywhere else.

egillmor gravatar image egillmor  ( 2015-08-28 20:27:34 -0500 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
5

answered 2015-08-29 20:13:49 -0500

updated 2015-08-30 10:39:07 -0500

Just for posterity the issue here was use of the IPUnitsForHTML measure which changes E+ output to IP units. This measure changes all E+ outputs to IP units even the SQL results that OpenStudio expects in SI units. Potential fixes are:

  1. Add option to E+ to output human readable results (html) in IP but machine readable results (SQL) in SI
  2. Require OpenStudio Reporting Measures to work on both IP or SI units
  3. Warn OpenStudio users that Reporting Measures might not work with E+ results are requested in IP units

I think #3 is the right fix and have filed this issue. In the meantime, users just need to be careful that using the IPUnitsForHTML measure may break OpenStudio Reporting Measures or other OpenStudio functionality that depends on E+ output.

* Update *

There were also issues on upload due to the XML file not being encoded in UTF. I've filed a bug to fix this in PAT. However, in the meantime you can use Notepad++ to convert your XML file to UTF-8 without BOM format.

If upload still fails, a good next step is to validate your XML against the EDAPT schema, this online tool seems to do the trick. You can also use the Notepad++ XML tools plugin to validate your XML but you have to download the EDAPT schema first.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

 

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2015-08-28 18:46:26 -0500

Seen: 176 times

Last updated: Aug 30 '15